October 15, 2013
Rapist who fled to U.S. belongs behind bars: Saskiw
EDMONTON, AB (October 15, 2013): Justice Minister Jonathan Denis should immediately begin the process to bring high-risk offender and serial rapist Mike Stanley back to the province after he removed his GPS monitoring bracelet and fled to the United States, Wildrose Justice Critic Shayne Saskiw said today.
Stanley, who has a criminal record in Canada dating back to 1987 totaling 48 convictions, most recently completed a 32-month sentence for assault and unlawful confinement for luring two boys with developmental disabilities, aged 13 and nine, into his Edmonton apartment and holding them there. In the 1980s, Stanley spent seven years behind bars for raping and assaulting an 80-year-old disabled woman in Lethbridge. Police have warned the public that Stanley has a long history of sexual related offences and has taken kids from playgrounds in the past. On Oct. 1, Stanley violated conditions to stay in Edmonton by traveling to Lloydminster. Upon arriving in Lloydminster, police discovered his GPS bracelet had been cut off and Stanley had fled. Alberta Justice has subsequently announced they won’t try and bring him back. Saskiw says the risk Stanley poses to communities combined with his violation of parole conditions are more than enough justification for the Alberta government to bring him back. “This is an individual who has been terrorizing vulnerable Albertans for decades who is now on the loose and Alberta Justice is saying they’re not going to do anything about it,” Saskiw said. “I implore Minister Denis to do everything in his power to bring this guy back to Alberta and put him behind bars. It’s morally reprehensible to allow him to roam free in search of his next victim.”