May 11, 2015
Jean Meets With Caucus, Announces Six Senior Shadow Cabinet Positions and Caucus Officers
EDMONTON, AB (May 11, 2015): Today, Wildrose Leader Brian Jean met with the 21 members of the new Wildrose Official Opposition and released the core members of his shadow cabinet and caucus officers.
“We have an incredibly strong team representing every corner of the province. We are ready to stand up for Albertans and focus on their priorities,” Jean said. “Alberta is facing unique and challenging circumstances, and Albertans deserve to have their representatives hard at work putting forward positive and constructive solutions.”
The early shadow cabinet roster will immediately be put to work on key portfolios facing the new NDP government, advocating for lower taxes and policies that will spur, not harm, economic growth.
- Drew Barnes, MLA Cypress – Medicine Hat is the Shadow Minister for Health.
- Rick Strankman, MLA Drumheller – Stettler is the Shadow Minister for Agriculture
- Pat Stier, MLA Livingstone – Macleod is the Shadow Minister for Municipal Affairs
- Derek Fildebrandt, MLA Strathmore – Brooks is the Shadow Minister for Finance & Treasury Board
- Mark Smith, MLA Drayton Valley – Devon is the Shadow Minister for Education
- Leela Sharon Aheer, Chestermere – Rocky View is the Shadow Minister for Energy
The new caucus officers will be responsible for working with the Wildrose Caucus to directly advocate for the unique interests facing separate regions across the province:
- Nathan Cooper, MLA Olds – Didsbury – Three Hills is the Wildrose House Leader
- Jason Nixon, MLA Rimbey – Rocky Mountain House – Sundre is the Wildrose Whip
- Tany Yao, MLA Fort McMurray – Wood Buffalo is Wildrose Caucus Chair
“Albertans deserve a government that prioritizes low taxes, balanced budgets, a health care system that works, a world-class education system and strong communities,” Jean said. “Our Wildrose team is ready to lay the groundwork, and give our province the effective opposition they deserve.”
Further shadow cabinet announcements will be made after the Premier designate announces her cabinet and her government structure.