SUNDRE, AB (August 15, 2013): The PC government should announce a timeline for the release of a flood mitigation plan for the Red Deer River basin to ensure residents of Sundre are prepared for the 2014 flood season, Rimbey-Rocky Mountain House-Sundre MLA Joe Anglin said today.
In a letter [insert link] to Municipal Affairs Minister Doug Griffiths, Anglin inquired as to the state of the plan and asked when residents would have the opportunity to provide input. In light of the evacuation of hundreds of Sundre families, Anglin emphasized the need for local mitigation infrastructure improvements to happen this year and for consultation with local stakeholders to ensure the most effective flood mitigation infrastructure plan is constructed. “A key part of any mitigation strategy will be dredging areas of the river. While the government did not favour this approach previously, I trust recent events will have caused government to reconsider the necessity of periodic dredging to protect residents and their homes,” Anglin said. Anglin asked government to consider a series of berms and spurs to mitigate rising waters when flooding occurs, and requested government work on a plan to determine where mitigation infrastructure would be most effective. Anglin also requested the Minister reconsider his position on holding a public inquiry into the government’s flood response and readiness. “In light of the tragic fatalities that occurred due to flooding hazards in southern Alberta, I urge you to reconsider the Official Opposition call for a public inquiry into the province’s flood response,” Anglin said. “Albertans deserve the peace of mind that would come from a judge-led inquiry, and would benefit from an in depth look into the province’s readiness to fend off the rising waters when this occurs again.” Wildrose previously called on government to release new flood zone maps and a mitigation plan by September.